Friday, January 3, 2014

Longer Days and Shorter Tempers

   

    Ali is supposed to either start going to school in the mornings or add an hour to his time in the afternoon starting three days from now, and I have yet to hear anything from the school. He goes to school from 12:30-3:00. Well, it's really more like 12:45-2:30 because they're always late, and they always drop him off early. And four of the five days he's there, he has 30 minutes of therapy (OT and speech rotating) to cram into his day! Plus we have been working on having him mostly integrated, and the time that he's there they're going "centers" AKA complete chaos. So, yeah.

    They're trying to find enough people to "handle" him. He has a personal para that goes with him everywhere, and her lunch break is right in the middle of where it would be the most logical to get more time for him(his para is amazing, and has made all the difference in the world this year so my problem isn't with her at all). And they're short staffed. And Aidan can't "handle" the extra time or lunch with the other kids. I am tired of the excuses! I know he can do it, and I wish someone would side with me and believe in him, too!

    But I guess that's how it is with "our people", right? We fight and fight for our kids even when everyone else thinks we're wrong or crazy. But what if I'm wrong? What if he can't handle the extra time? Is it worth all the fight to be wrong in the end anyway? I just hate the thought of my six year old son only getting to go to school for less than three hours because the school lacks the resources for him to have a better educational experience.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment