Monday, January 13, 2014

Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee.

    IEP meetings are tough. Before our meeting, I didn't really think about how tough they were on everyone else involved. Before, I didn't feel like my concerns about Ali were heard. Before, I didn't feel like we were a team. My how things have changed!

    I went in there prepared to have to fight tooth and nail for every concession. I was met with a little opposition, but nothing serious. I felt it was of utmost importance for Ali to get more school time. Before, he was going from 12:30 to 3:00. He was having to cram therapy in there (a sore spot for sure), and has been there mostly socially. Now, gets picked up at 7:45 and I pick him up at 11:30. He gets Phonics/Reading/Handwriting time, Music/PE, and breakfast AND lunch time.

    He's been having behavioral issues, and I wonder if it's due to the seasons. Shorter days, stomach bugs, allergies, etc. make ME cranky, so I can't imagine how they make him feel (especially since he's nonverbal). I just wish he didn't take it out on his teachers and paras. I know they're exhausted. I know this because that's how I feel! But I know that he can do more than 2.5 hours at school. I'm so relieved that they feel the same!

    It was suggested that we start adding time little by little as to not overwhelm him. But my stance was to start with the bigger block of time and cut down if needed. This was more based on the fear that the added time may never come if it were based on his behavior. He is also going at an entirely different time of day which we thought might add to his behavior issues. He's not a morning person. Haha. But every time I wake him up and say "It's time for school" he hops out of his bed with a skip in his step! He is READY! I FREAKING KNEW IT!

    Now, I have to say this because I feel horrible for not considering the feelings of the other folks on our team when I wrote previous blogs. When I described "centers" in his homeroom as chaotic, I meant that it was likely chaos in Ali's mind. Mrs. F. is the best teacher we could have asked for! She takes time out to spend individualized time with him daily, which is a formidable in and of itself with 20+ kindergartners! And all of his teachers, paras, and therapists deserve a freaking medal (and LOTS of chocolate) for dealing with his tantrums and meltdowns. That boy can kick and headbutt like Chuck Norris.

    Previously, I didn't feel like we were all on the same page. I felt like I was fighting a losing battle to get Ali more time at school. I kind of felt like no one else believed in him the way I did. But I was WRONG, and for that I am grateful. I have always had full confidence in his school to treat him with respect and care, but I never realized how much they love him until our meeting. When I told them that I felt like they didn't believe in him like I did, there was not a dry eye in the room. They LOVE him, and are emotionally invested in him. And I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment